England vs India LIVE – fifth Test, day four: Alastair Cook hits fairytale century in final Test innings as hosts build lead at the Oval
- England declared after tea on day four setting India 464 to win the fifth Test
- Alastair Cook hit 147 in his final Test match for England at the Oval on Monday
- He shared a 259-run partnership for the third wicket with Joe Root
- England skipper hit his 14th ton before they were dismissed in successive balls
- Jonny Bairstow and Jos Buttler both removed cheaply searching for quick runs
- LAST WICKET: Dhawan lbw b Anderson 1, India 1-1 (TARGET: 464)
Alastair Cook was finally removed from the crease for 147 after hitting his 33rd Test century in his final match for England, putting them in command against India.
He shared a 259-run partnership with captain Joe Root, who made his 14th Test ton, before they fell in successive deliveries after lunch.
A flurry of wickets before tea saw Jonny Bairstow (18) and Jos Buttler (0) back in the pavilion, by which point the hosts had built a mammoth 404-run lead.
Cook was afforded another standing ovation as he walked back to the pavilion for the final time at the end of his innings, and received a handshake from each and every Indian fielder.
He reached the historic moment in farcical circumstances in the morning session, thanks to overthrows from Jasprit Bumrah, which took him to the landmark and led to a prolonged standing ovation from a rapturous Oval crowd.
Follow all the live action throughout the day’s play with Sportsmail’s JAMES DUTTON and updates from PAUL NEWMAN and LAWRENCE BOOTH.
If you are viewing on mobile, please click here.